Heart's Delight: A Hidden Gem in Newfoundland-Labrador
Nestled on the eastern coast of Newfoundland-Labrador, Heart's Delight is a charming community that offers visitors a glimpse into the province's rich history and natural beauty. With its picturesque coastline, quaint fishing villages, and friendly locals, Heart's Delight is the perfect destination for those seeking a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Attractions and Natural Wonders
Heart's Delight is home to a variety of attractions and natural wonders that are sure to delight visitors of all ages. Here are just a few of the must-see sights in the area:
- Heart's Delight Lighthouse: Built in 1916, this iconic lighthouse is a popular spot for photos and offers stunning views of the coastline.
- Heart's Content Cable Station: This historic site was the landing point for the first transatlantic telegraph cable in 1866. Visitors can explore the museum and learn about the history of communication.
- Dildo Run Provincial Park: This beautiful park offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and a sandy beach for swimming and sunbathing.
- Heart's Delight Beach: This secluded beach is a great spot for a peaceful walk or a picnic with a view.
- Trinity Bay Lookout: This scenic lookout offers panoramic views of the bay and surrounding countryside.
- Heart's Delight Walking Trail: This 2.5 km trail winds through the town and offers stunning views of the coastline and surrounding hills.
Festivals and Events
Heart's Delight is home to a number of festivals and events throughout the year, celebrating everything from local culture to the natural beauty of the area. Here are a few of the most popular events:
- Heart's Delight Day: This annual event takes place in August and features live music, food vendors, and a parade.
- Trinity Bay North Festival: This festival celebrates the culture and heritage of the area with live music, traditional food, and craft vendors.
- Heart's Delight Christmas Craft Fair: This popular event takes place in November and features local artisans selling handmade crafts and gifts.
History of Heart's Delight
Heart's Delight was first settled in the early 1800s by English and Irish immigrants who were drawn to the area's rich fishing grounds. The community was officially established in 1836 and was named after a ship that had been wrecked in the area.
In 1964, Heart's Delight was incorporated as a town, with a population of just over 500 people. Today, the town is home to around 300 residents and is a popular destination for tourists seeking a glimpse into Newfoundland-Labrador's rich history and natural beauty.
Whether you're looking to explore the area's natural wonders, learn about its history, or simply relax and enjoy the peaceful surroundings, Heart's Delight is the perfect destination. With its friendly locals, charming fishing villages, and stunning coastline, this hidden gem in Newfoundland-Labrador is sure to capture your heart.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism. (n.d.). Heart's Delight. https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/plan-and-book/attractions/211799
- Heart's Delight-Islington Town Council. (n.d.). About Us. https://www.heartsdelightislington.ca/about-us
- Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage. (n.d.). Heart's Content Cable Station. https://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles/society/hearts-content-cable-station.php
- Newfoundland and Labrador Parks and Natural Areas. (n.d.). Dildo Run Provincial Park. https://www.gov.nl.ca/tourism/parks/dildo-run-provincial-park/
- Newfoundland and Labrador Parks and Natural Areas. (n.d.). Heart's Delight Walking Trail. https://www.gov.nl.ca/tourism/parks-and-natural-areas/walking-trails/hearts-delight-walking-trail/
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism. (n.d.). Trinity Bay North. https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/plan-and-book/attractions/211800