Lanigan, Saskatchewan: A Hidden Gem in the Prairies
Lanigan, Saskatchewan is a small town located in the heart of the Canadian Prairies. Despite its size, it offers a variety of attractions and natural wonders that make it a must-visit destination for anyone traveling through the area.
- Lanigan & District Heritage Centre: This museum showcases the history of the town and surrounding area, including exhibits on agriculture, mining, and the railway.
- Lanigan Golf & Country Club: This 9-hole golf course offers stunning views of the surrounding prairie landscape.
- Lanigan Swimming Pool: This outdoor pool is a great place to cool off on a hot summer day.
- Lanigan Ball Diamonds: These ball diamonds are home to local baseball and softball leagues, and are a great place to catch a game.
- Lanigan Skate Park: This skate park is a popular spot for local skateboarders and BMX riders.
- Little Manitou Lake: This nearby lake is known for its high salt content, which makes it easy to float in the water. It's also a popular spot for fishing and boating.
- Lanigan Sandhills: These sand dunes are a unique feature of the prairie landscape, and offer a great opportunity for hiking and exploring.
- Lanigan Wetlands: These wetlands are home to a variety of bird species, and are a great spot for birdwatching.
- Lanigan Canada Day Celebrations: This annual event includes a parade, live music, and fireworks.
- Lanigan Agricultural Fair: This fair showcases the best of local agriculture, including livestock shows, a rodeo, and a midway.
Lanigan was established in 1907, when the Canadian Northern Railway was built through the area. The town was named after John Lanigan, a prominent railway contractor. It was officially incorporated as a village in 1910, and became a town in 1951.
Lanigan, Saskatchewan may be a small town, but it offers a wealth of attractions and natural wonders that make it a great destination for anyone traveling through the area. Whether you're interested in history, outdoor recreation, or just soaking up the prairie landscape, Lanigan has something to offer.
- "Lanigan & District Heritage Centre." Town of Lanigan. https://www.lanigan.ca/heritage-centre
- "Lanigan Golf & Country Club." Golf Saskatchewan. https://www.golfsaskatchewan.org/clubs/lanigan-golf-country-club/
- "Lanigan Swimming Pool." Town of Lanigan. https://www.lanigan.ca/swimming-pool
- "Lanigan Ball Diamonds." Town of Lanigan. https://www.lanigan.ca/ball-diamonds
- "Lanigan Skate Park." Town of Lanigan. https://www.lanigan.ca/skate-park
- "Little Manitou Lake." Tourism Saskatchewan. https://www.tourismsaskatchewan.com/provincialpark/3034/little-manitou-lake
- "Lanigan Sandhills." Tourism Saskatchewan. https://www.tourismsaskatchewan.com/provincialpark/3035/lanigan-sandhills
- "Lanigan Wetlands." Tourism Saskatchewan. https://www.tourismsaskatchewan.com/listings/3036/lanigan-wetlands
- "Lanigan Canada Day Celebrations." Town of Lanigan. https://www.lanigan.ca/canada-day-celebrations
- "Lanigan Agricultural Fair." Town of Lanigan. https://www.lanigan.ca/agricultural-fair