Asquith, Saskatchewan: A Hidden Gem in the Prairies
Asquith, Saskatchewan is a small town located in the central part of the province, approximately 40 kilometers west of Saskatoon. Despite its small size, Asquith has a lot to offer visitors who are looking for a quiet and peaceful getaway in the heart of the prairies.
Attractions and Natural Wonders
Asquith is surrounded by beautiful natural landscapes, making it an ideal destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Some of the top attractions and natural wonders in the area include:
- Asquith Golf Club: This 9-hole golf course is located just outside of town and offers stunning views of the surrounding prairies.
- Asquith Lake: This small lake is located just north of town and is a popular spot for fishing and boating.
- Asquith Nature Trail: This 2.5-kilometer trail winds through the town and offers visitors a chance to see some of the local wildlife and plant life.
- Asquith Heritage Park: This park is home to a number of historic buildings and artifacts, including a restored schoolhouse and a vintage fire truck.
Festivals and Events
Asquith is also home to a number of festivals and events throughout the year, including:
- Asquith Harvest Festival: This annual festival celebrates the end of the harvest season and features a parade, live music, and a community supper.
- Asquith Rodeo: This rodeo takes place every summer and features bull riding, barrel racing, and other rodeo events.
- Asquith Winter Festival: This festival takes place in the winter and features ice skating, sleigh rides, and other winter activities.
History of Asquith
Asquith was founded in 1904 by a group of settlers who were attracted to the area's fertile soil and abundant water supply. The town was named after Herbert Asquith, who was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom at the time.
Asquith was officially incorporated as a village in 1907 and became a town in 1911. The town's early economy was based on agriculture, with wheat and other crops being the main exports.
Today, Asquith is a thriving community with a population of approximately 600 people. The town is known for its friendly residents, beautiful natural landscapes, and strong sense of community.
Asquith, Saskatchewan may be a small town, but it has a lot to offer visitors who are looking for a peaceful and relaxing getaway in the heart of the prairies. From its beautiful natural landscapes to its vibrant community events, Asquith is a hidden gem that is well worth a visit.
- "Asquith, Saskatchewan." Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 22 June 2021.
- "Asquith Golf Club." Asquith Golf Club, 2021.
- "Asquith Heritage Park." Asquith Heritage Park, 2021.
- "Asquith Lake." Saskatchewan Fishing, 2021.
- "Asquith Nature Trail." AllTrails, 2021.
- "Asquith Rodeo." Asquith Rodeo, 2021.