Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Quebec Canada

Discover Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Quebec: A Blend of History and Serenity

Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Quebec, is a charming village municipality nestled in the Montérégie region of Quebec, Canada. Part of the Vaudreuil-Soulanges Regional County Municipality, it is situated on the western portion of the Vaudreuil Peninsula, projecting into the Lake of Two Mountains. As of the 2016 Canada Census, the population stood at 1,341.

A Glimpse into the Past of Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Quebec

The history of Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Quebec, dates back to the early twentieth century when the first vacationers were drawn to the lakeshore's beauty. On May 19, 1920, the village Municipality of Belle-Plage, translating to "beautiful beach," was incorporated, with Ludger Dupont serving as the first mayor. At that time, Belle-Plage was primarily a vacation destination, with only seven families residing permanently among the 300 people.

On January 4, 1960, the Municipal Council renamed "Belle-Plage" to "Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac." The new name pays homage to the historic Vaudreuil Seignory, granted to and named after Philippe de Rigaud Vaudreuil, Governor of New France from 1703 to 1725.

The early 1960s saw the region transform into a residential suburb of Montreal City, following the construction of the Île aux Tourtes Bridge and Highway 40, which passes just south of Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac. This development led to a noticeable increase in the village's population in the late sixties.

The Modern Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Quebec: A Residential Haven

Today, Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Quebec, is predominantly residential, with 90% of its area dedicated to residences and the remaining 10% to industrial and commercial purposes. The Club Nautique des Deux-Montagnes, located here, attracts many sailing enthusiasts.

Demographics of Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Quebec

According to the 2021 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac had a population of 1,361 living in 484 of its 494 total private dwellings. This figure represents a 1.5% increase from its 2016 population of 1,341. With a land area of 1.38 km2 (0.53 sq mi), the village had a population density of 986.2/km2 (2,554.3/sq mi) in 2021.