Lac-Saguay: A Hidden Gem in Quebec
Nestled in the heart of the Laurentian Mountains, Lac-Saguay is a small community in Quebec that offers visitors a unique blend of natural beauty and cultural experiences. With its pristine lakes, lush forests, and charming downtown area, Lac-Saguay is the perfect destination for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and immerse themselves in the tranquility of nature.
One of the main attractions in Lac-Saguay is the beautiful Lac-Saguay Beach. This sandy beach is located on the shores of Lac-Saguay and offers visitors the perfect spot to relax and soak up the sun. The beach is equipped with picnic tables, washrooms, and a playground, making it a great spot for families.
Parc des Pionniers
Another popular attraction in Lac-Saguay is Parc des Pionniers. This park is located in the heart of downtown Lac-Saguay and features a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy, including a skate park, tennis courts, and a playground. The park is also home to a number of events throughout the year, including a summer concert series and a winter carnival.
Lac-Saguay Nature Trail
For those looking to explore the natural beauty of Lac-Saguay, the Lac-Saguay Nature Trail is a must-visit. This 3.5-kilometer trail winds through the forest and along the shores of Lac-Saguay, offering visitors stunning views of the surrounding landscape. The trail is suitable for all skill levels and is open year-round.
Festival de la Saint-Jean-Baptiste
One of the biggest events in Lac-Saguay is the Festival de la Saint-Jean-Baptiste. This festival takes place every year on June 24th and features live music, food vendors, and a fireworks display. The festival is a celebration of Quebecois culture and is a great way to experience the local community.
Lac-Saguay was first established in 1874 as a logging camp. The community grew rapidly over the next few decades, with the construction of a sawmill and a railway line. In 1910, Lac-Saguay was officially incorporated as a village.
The community was named after the nearby Lac Saguay, which is believed to have been named by the Algonquin people who once inhabited the area. The name "Saguay" is thought to mean "place of the sand."
Whether you're looking to relax on the beach, explore the natural beauty of the Laurentian Mountains, or immerse yourself in Quebecois culture, Lac-Saguay has something for everyone. With its rich history and stunning natural landscape, this hidden gem in Quebec is a must-visit destination for any traveler.
- "Lac-Saguay." Quebec Original. https://www.quebecoriginal.com/en-ca/listing/things-to-do/heritage-sites-and-attractions/cities-and-towns/lac-saguay-2382387
- "Lac-Saguay Beach." Laurentians. https://www.laurentides.com/en/members/lac-saguay-beach
- "Parc des Pionniers." Laurentians. https://www.laurentides.com/en/members/parc-des-pionniers
- "Lac-Saguay Nature Trail." AllTrails. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/quebec/lac-saguay-nature-trail
- "Festival de la Saint-Jean-Baptiste." Laurentians. https://www.laurentides.com/en/members/festival-de-la-saint-jean-baptiste-lac-saguay
- "Lac-Saguay." The Canadian Encyclopedia. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/lac-saguay