Calixa-lavallee, Quebec: A Hidden Gem in Canada
Calixa-lavallee is a small community located in the province of Quebec, Canada. Despite its size, it is a hidden gem that offers a unique blend of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and outdoor activities. This article will provide a comprehensive guide to Calixa-lavallee, including its history, attractions, and festivals.
History of Calixa-lavallee
Calixa-lavallee was founded in 1855 by Calixa Lavallee, a Canadian composer who is best known for composing the music for the Canadian national anthem, "O Canada." The community was originally named Sainte-Cecile-de-Milton, but it was renamed in honor of Lavallee in 1961. Calixa-lavallee was officially incorporated as a municipality in 1855.
Attractions in Calixa-lavallee
Calixa-lavallee is a picturesque community that is surrounded by natural beauty. Visitors can explore the following attractions:
Parc des Chutes-de-la-Chaudiere: This park features a stunning waterfall that is over 35 meters high. Visitors can hike along the trails that lead to the waterfall and enjoy the scenic views.
Lac des Deux-Montagnes: This lake is a popular spot for fishing, boating, and swimming. Visitors can rent a boat or kayak and explore the lake's many islands and coves.
Sentier de la Montagne: This hiking trail offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. It is a challenging hike, but the views are well worth the effort.
Musee de la Petite Maison Blanche: This museum is dedicated to the history of the community and its residents. It is housed in a small white house that was one of the few buildings to survive the devastating flood of 1996.
Festivals in Calixa-lavallee
Calixa-lavallee is home to several festivals and events throughout the year. Some of the most popular include:
Festival de la Chanson de Granby: This music festival features up-and-coming Canadian musicians. It takes place in August and attracts thousands of visitors each year.
Fete de la Famille: This family-friendly event takes place in July and features games, activities, and live entertainment.
Marche de Noel: This Christmas market takes place in December and features local artisans and vendors selling handmade gifts and decorations.
Calixa-lavallee may be a small community, but it offers a wealth of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. From hiking and fishing to music festivals and Christmas markets, there is something for everyone in this hidden gem of Quebec.
- "Calixa-Lavallee." The Canadian Encyclopedia. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/calixa-lavallee
- "Calixa-Lavallee." Quebec Original. https://www.quebecoriginal.com/en-ca/listing/things-to-do/heritage-sites-and-attractions/towns-and-villages/calixa-lavallee-238000000
- "Parc des Chutes-de-la-Chaudiere." Quebec Original. https://www.quebecoriginal.com/en-ca/listing/things-to-do/sports-and-nature/parks-and-natural-sites/parc-des-chutes-de-la-chaudiere-238000000
- "Lac des Deux-Montagnes." Quebec Original. https://www.quebecoriginal.com/en-ca/listing/things-to-do/sports-and-nature/beaches-and-swimming/lac-des-deux-montagnes-238000000
- "Sentier de la Montagne." AllTrails. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/quebec/sentier-de-la-montagne
- "Musee de la Petite Maison Blanche." Quebec Original. https://www.quebecoriginal.com/en-ca/listing/things-to-do/heritage-sites-and-attractions/musee-de-la-petite-maison-blanche-238000000