Nipigon, Ontario: A Hidden Gem for Nature Lovers
Nipigon, Ontario is a small town located on the northern shore of Lake Superior. Despite its size, it is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts who come to explore the natural wonders of the area. From hiking trails to fishing spots, Nipigon has something for everyone.
- Nipigon River Recreation Trail: This 8 km trail follows the Nipigon River and offers stunning views of the surrounding wilderness.
- Red Rock Marina: A popular spot for fishing and boating, the marina is also home to a restaurant and gift shop.
- Nipigon Historical Museum: Learn about the history of the town and the surrounding area at this small museum.
- Nipigon Bay Beach: A sandy beach on the shores of Lake Superior, perfect for swimming and sunbathing.
- Ouimet Canyon Provincial Park: Located just outside of Nipigon, this park features a 100 m deep canyon and hiking trails.
- Nipigon Bay: The largest bay on Lake Superior, Nipigon Bay is home to a variety of fish species and is a popular spot for fishing.
- Nipigon River: Known for its world-class fishing, the Nipigon River is home to trophy-sized brook trout and other fish species.
- Mount Baldy: A popular hiking spot, Mount Baldy offers stunning views of Lake Superior and the surrounding area.
- Slate Islands: Located off the coast of Nipigon, the Slate Islands are home to a variety of wildlife, including caribou and bald eagles.
- Nipigon Fall Fishing Festival: Held in September, this festival celebrates the town's fishing heritage with fishing tournaments and other events.
- Nipigon Winter Carnival: Held in February, this festival features ice fishing, snowshoeing, and other winter activities.
Nipigon was established in 1885 as a railway town. It was incorporated as a village in 1908 and as a town in 1925. The town was named after the Nipigon River, which flows through the area. The first person to settle in the area was a fur trader named Jean-Baptiste Nolin.
Nipigon, Ontario may be a small town, but it has a lot to offer for those who love the outdoors. From hiking trails to fishing spots, there is something for everyone. Whether you're looking for a relaxing vacation or an adventure-filled getaway, Nipigon is the perfect destination.
- Ontario Parks. (n.d.). Ouimet Canyon Provincial Park. https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/ouimetcanyon
- Red Rock Marina. (n.d.). https://www.redrockmarina.ca/
- Town of Nipigon. (n.d.). Nipigon Historical Museum. https://www.nipigon.net/visitors/nipigon-historical-museum/
- Town of Nipigon. (n.d.). Nipigon River Recreation Trail. https://www.nipigon.net/visitors/nipigon-river-recreation-trail/
- Town of Nipigon. (n.d.). Nipigon Bay Beach. https://www.nipigon.net/visitors/nipigon-bay-beach/
- Visit Thunder Bay. (n.d.). Slate Islands. https://www.visitthunderbay.com/en/see-and-do/slate-islands.aspx