Mattawa: A Hidden Gem in Ontario
Mattawa, Ontario is a small town located in the Nipissing District of Ontario, Canada. It is situated at the confluence of the Mattawa and Ottawa Rivers, making it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts. The town is known for its natural beauty, rich history, and friendly locals. In this article, we will explore the top attractions, natural wonders, and festivals that make Mattawa a must-visit destination.
- Mattawa Island Conservation Area: This beautiful island is located in the middle of the Mattawa River and is accessible by boat. It is a popular spot for picnics, swimming, and fishing.
- Explorer's Point Park: This park is located at the end of Main Street and offers stunning views of the Ottawa River. It is a great spot for a picnic or a leisurely stroll.
- Mattawa Museum: This museum showcases the history of the town and its surrounding areas. It features exhibits on the fur trade, logging, and the railway.
- Antoine Mountain: This ski resort is located just outside of Mattawa and offers skiing and snowboarding for all skill levels.
- Mattawa River Provincial Park: This park is located just outside of town and offers camping, hiking, and canoeing opportunities.
- Hurdman Dam: This dam is located on the Mattawa River and is a popular spot for fishing and picnicking.
- Mattawa River: This river is a popular spot for canoeing and kayaking. It offers stunning views of the surrounding forests and wildlife.
- Laurentian Mountains: These mountains are located just outside of Mattawa and offer hiking and skiing opportunities.
- Algonquin Provincial Park: This park is located just a short drive from Mattawa and is known for its stunning scenery and wildlife.
- Voyageur Days: This festival takes place in July and celebrates the town's French-Canadian heritage. It features live music, food, and a parade.
- Mattawa River Canoe Race: This race takes place in April and attracts canoeists from all over the world. It is a challenging race that takes participants down the Mattawa River.
- Mattawa ATV Jamboree: This event takes place in August and is a celebration of all things ATV. It features guided tours, live music, and food.
Mattawa was established in 1615 by French explorer Samuel de Champlain. It was originally a trading post for the fur trade and was an important stop on the voyageur route. The town was officially incorporated in 1886 and was named after the Algonquin word for "meeting of the waters". The town's founder is unknown, but it is believed to have been a French-Canadian fur trader.
Mattawa, Ontario is a hidden gem that offers something for everyone. Whether you are an outdoor enthusiast, history buff, or just looking for a relaxing getaway, Mattawa has it all. With its stunning natural beauty, rich history, and friendly locals, it is a must-visit destination in Ontario.
- Ontario Parks. (n.d.). Mattawa River Provincial Park. https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/mattawariver
- Mattawa Voyageur Country. (n.d.). Explorer's Point Park. https://www.mattawavoyageurcountry.com/explorers-point-park
- Mattawa Voyageur Country. (n.d.). Mattawa Island Conservation Area. https://www.mattawavoyageurcountry.com/mattawa-island-conservation-area
- Mattawa Voyageur Country. (n.d.). Mattawa Museum. https://www.mattawavoyageurcountry.com/mattawa-museum
- Antoine Mountain. (n.d.). Home. https://www.antoinemountain.ca/
- Ontario Parks. (n.d.). Algonquin Provincial Park. https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/algonquin