Westville, Nova Scotia: A Hidden Gem for Travel and Tourism
Westville, Nova Scotia is a small town located in Pictou County, known for its rich history, natural beauty, and friendly community. With a population of just over 3,000 people, Westville offers a unique and authentic experience for travelers looking to explore the beauty of Nova Scotia.
Attractions and Natural Wonders
Westville is home to a number of attractions and natural wonders that are sure to impress visitors. Some of the top attractions in the area include:
- Samson Trail: This scenic trail is perfect for hiking, biking, and walking. It offers stunning views of the West River and is a great way to explore the natural beauty of the area.
- Acadia Park: This park is a popular spot for picnics, family gatherings, and outdoor activities. It features a playground, basketball court, and plenty of green space for visitors to enjoy.
- Westville Heritage Museum: This museum is dedicated to preserving the history of Westville and the surrounding area. It features exhibits on local industry, culture, and heritage.
- Westville Lighthouse: This historic lighthouse is a popular spot for photos and offers stunning views of the surrounding area.
- Westville Farmers' Market: This market is held every Saturday and features local produce, crafts, and baked goods.
Festivals and Events
Westville is also home to a number of festivals and events throughout the year. Some of the top events include:
- Westville Canada Day Celebration: This annual event features live music, food vendors, and a fireworks display.
- Westville Harvest Festival: This festival celebrates the harvest season with a parade, live music, and local food vendors.
- Westville Christmas Parade: This festive parade is a great way to get into the holiday spirit and features floats, music, and plenty of holiday cheer.
History of Westville
Westville was established in 1809 by John MacDonald, who named the town after his birthplace in Scotland. The town was officially incorporated in 1889 and quickly became a hub for coal mining and other industries. Today, Westville is known for its rich history and strong sense of community.
Whether you're looking to explore the natural beauty of Nova Scotia or learn more about the history of the area, Westville is a must-visit destination. With its friendly community, unique attractions, and rich history, Westville offers a truly authentic experience for travelers.
- "Westville, Nova Scotia." Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 22 June 2021.
- "Westville Heritage Museum." Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library, 2021.
- "Samson Trail." Nova Scotia Trails Federation, 2021.
- "Acadia Park." Town of Westville, 2021.
- "Westville Farmers' Market." Town of Westville, 2021.
- "Westville Canada Day Celebration." Town of Westville, 2021.