Upper Tantallon: A Hidden Gem in Nova Scotia
Upper Tantallon is a small community located in the Halifax Regional Municipality of Nova Scotia, Canada. Despite its size, it offers a variety of attractions and natural wonders that make it a must-visit destination for tourists. In this article, we will explore the best things to do in Upper Tantallon and its rich history.
Peggy's Cove Lighthouse
Peggy's Cove Lighthouse is one of the most iconic landmarks in Nova Scotia. It is located just a short drive from Upper Tantallon and offers breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Visitors can climb to the top of the lighthouse and take in the stunning scenery.
St. Margarets Bay Trail
The St. Margarets Bay Trail is a 32-kilometer trail that runs from Upper Tantallon to Hubbards. It is a popular destination for hikers, cyclists, and nature enthusiasts. The trail offers stunning views of the bay and passes through several small communities along the way.
Tantallon Village Farmers Market
The Tantallon Village Farmers Market is a must-visit destination for foodies. It is open every Tuesday from June to October and offers a variety of fresh produce, baked goods, and artisanal products.
Shining Waters Marina
Shining Waters Marina is a full-service marina located in Upper Tantallon. It offers boat rentals, fishing charters, and guided tours of the bay. Visitors can also enjoy a meal at the on-site restaurant, which offers stunning views of the water.
St. Margarets Bay
St. Margarets Bay is a beautiful body of water located just a short drive from Upper Tantallon. It is a popular destination for swimming, boating, and fishing. Visitors can also enjoy a picnic on the beach or take a stroll along the shoreline.
Indian Lake is a small lake located in Upper Tantallon. It is a popular destination for fishing and kayaking. Visitors can also enjoy a picnic on the shore or take a hike along the nearby trails.
Tantallon Village Christmas Festival
The Tantallon Village Christmas Festival is a popular event that takes place every December. It features a variety of activities, including a Christmas market, live music, and a visit from Santa Claus.
St. Margarets Bay Days
St. Margarets Bay Days is an annual festival that takes place in July. It features a variety of activities, including live music, food vendors, and a parade.
Upper Tantallon was established in the early 1800s by Scottish settlers. It was named after Tantallon Castle, a medieval fortress located in Scotland. The community was officially incorporated in 1984 and has since grown into a thriving tourist destination.
Upper Tantallon may be a small community, but it offers a wealth of attractions and natural wonders that make it a must-visit destination for tourists. From the iconic Peggy's Cove Lighthouse to the beautiful St. Margarets Bay, there is something for everyone in Upper Tantallon.
- "Peggy's Cove Lighthouse." Nova Scotia Tourism. https://www.novascotia.com/see-do/attractions/peggys-cove-lighthouse/1484
- "St. Margarets Bay Trail." Halifax Trails. https://www.halifaxtrails.ca/index_files/StMargaretsBayTrail.htm
- "Tantallon Village Farmers Market." Tantallon Village Farmers Market. https://www.tantallonvillagefarmersmarket.ca/
- "Shining Waters Marina." Shining Waters Marina. https://www.shiningwatersmarina.ca/
- "St. Margarets Bay." Nova Scotia Tourism. https://www.novascotia.com/explore/our-regions/peggys-cove-area/st-margarets-bay
- "Indian Lake." Halifax Trails. https://www.halifaxtrails.ca/index_files/IndianLake.htm
- "Tantallon Village Christmas Festival." Tantallon Village Christmas Festival. https://www.tantallonvillagechristmasfestival.ca/
- "St. Margarets Bay Days." St. Margarets Bay Days. https://www.stmargaretsbaydays.ca/