Amherst, Nova Scotia: A Hidden Gem in Canada
Amherst, Nova Scotia is a charming town located in Cumberland County, known for its rich history, natural beauty, and friendly locals. With a population of just over 9,000 people, Amherst is a small but vibrant community that offers visitors a unique experience. From its historic downtown to its beautiful parks and trails, there is something for everyone in Amherst.
One of the most popular attractions in Amherst is the Cumberland County Museum and Archives. This museum is dedicated to preserving the history of the area and features exhibits on everything from the Mi'kmaq people to the shipbuilding industry. Another must-see attraction is the Amherst Artisan Gallery, which showcases the work of local artists and artisans.
For those who love the outdoors, Amherst has plenty to offer. The Amherst Point Bird Sanctuary is a great place to go birdwatching, while the Amherst Shore Provincial Park is perfect for a day at the beach. The Trans Canada Trail also runs through Amherst, offering visitors the chance to hike or bike through some of the most beautiful scenery in the area.
Amherst is home to several festivals throughout the year, including the Cumberland County Exhibition, which takes place in August and features agricultural displays, live music, and carnival rides. The Amherst Winter Carnival is another popular event, with activities like ice skating, snowshoeing, and a polar bear dip.
Amherst was established in 1764 by Colonel Joseph Morse, who named the town after Jeffery Amherst, a British general who served during the Seven Years' War. The town was officially incorporated in 1889 and has since grown into a thriving community.
Whether you're interested in history, nature, or just want to experience small-town Canadian life, Amherst is the perfect destination. With its friendly locals, beautiful scenery, and unique attractions, it's no wonder that Amherst is quickly becoming one of Canada's hidden gems.
- "Amherst, Nova Scotia." Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 22 June 2021, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amherst,_Nova_Scotia.
- "Cumberland County Museum & Archives." Cumberland County Museum & Archives, ccmuseum.ednet.ns.ca/.
- "Amherst Artisan Gallery." Amherst Artisan Gallery, amherstartisangallery.com/.
- "Amherst Point Bird Sanctuary." Nova Scotia Bird Society, novascotiabirds.wixsite.com/nsbs/amherst-point-bird-sanctuary.
- "Amherst Shore Provincial Park." Nova Scotia Provincial Parks, novascotia.ca/natr/parks/amherst.asp.
- "Trans Canada Trail." The Great Trail, thegreattrail.ca/.