Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories
Fort Simpson's origins as a community began in 1803 as Fort of the Forks. Fort of the Forks existed solely as a fur trading site and was situated near what is now known as Fort Simpson. The Village of Fort Simpson became a permanent settlement July 1822 when the Hudson's Bay Company began construction of a trading post, naming it for George Simpson, then Governor of Rupert's Land. Until 1910 this was "a company town", with some participation by the Anglican and Roman Catholic Missions.