Wabush, Newfoundland-Labrador: A Hidden Gem for Nature Lovers
Wabush is a small town located in the western part of Labrador, Newfoundland-Labrador, Canada. It is a hidden gem for nature lovers, offering a variety of outdoor activities and breathtaking natural wonders. In this article, we will explore the attractions, natural wonders, parks, lakes, trails, roadside attractions, and festivals that are unique to Wabush.
Wabush has several attractions that are worth visiting. The following are some of the most popular ones:
- Wabush Hotel: This hotel is located in the heart of Wabush and offers comfortable accommodation for visitors. It has a restaurant, bar, and lounge, making it a great place to relax after a day of exploring the town.
- Wabush Arena: This arena is home to the Wabush Flyers, a local hockey team. It also hosts various events throughout the year, including concerts and trade shows.
- Wabush Heritage Museum: This museum showcases the history and culture of Wabush and the surrounding area. It has exhibits on the mining industry, the indigenous people of Labrador, and the early settlers of the town.
Wabush is surrounded by natural wonders that are sure to take your breath away. The following are some of the most popular ones:
- Wabush Lake: This lake is the largest body of water in the area and is a popular spot for fishing, boating, and swimming. It is also home to a variety of wildlife, including moose, caribou, and black bears.
- Menihek Nordic Ski Club: This ski club offers over 50 km of groomed cross-country ski trails that wind through the beautiful forests and hills of Wabush. It is a great place to enjoy the winter scenery and get some exercise.
- Wabush Lookout: This lookout offers stunning views of the surrounding area, including Wabush Lake and the nearby mountains. It is a great place to watch the sunset or take some photos.
Parks and Trails
Wabush has several parks and trails that are perfect for hiking, biking, and picnicking. The following are some of the most popular ones:
- Wabush Trailway: This trailway is a 5 km paved trail that runs through the town of Wabush. It is a great place to go for a walk or bike ride and enjoy the scenery.
- Wabush Lake Park: This park is located on the shores of Wabush Lake and offers picnic areas, playgrounds, and a beach. It is a great place to spend a sunny afternoon with family and friends.
- Menihek Trail: This trail is a 20 km hiking trail that winds through the forests and hills of Wabush. It is a great place to explore the natural beauty of the area and get some exercise.
Wabush has several festivals throughout the year that celebrate the town's culture and history. The following are some of the most popular ones:
- Wabush Winter Carnival: This carnival takes place in February and features ice sculptures, snowmobile races, and other winter activities.
- Wabush Salmon Festival: This festival takes place in July and celebrates the town's fishing heritage. It features a salmon barbecue, live music, and other fun activities.
Wabush was established in the 1950s as a mining town. It was incorporated as a town in 1967 and named after the Wabush Lake. The town was founded by the Iron Ore Company of Canada, which operated a mine in the area. The mine closed in the 2010s, but the town continues to thrive as a hub for outdoor recreation and tourism.
Wabush, Newfoundland-Labrador, is a hidden gem for nature lovers. It offers a variety of outdoor activities, natural wonders, parks, trails, roadside attractions, and festivals that are unique to the town. Whether you are looking for a relaxing getaway or an adventure-filled vacation, Wabush has something for everyone.
- "Wabush, Newfoundland and Labrador." Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 22 June 2021.
- "Wabush Heritage Museum." Town of Wabush, 2021.
- "Menihek Nordic Ski Club." Town of Wabush, 2021.
- "Wabush Trailway." Town of Wabush, 2021.
- "Menihek Trail." Town of Wabush, 2021.
- "Wabush Winter Carnival." Town of Wabush, 2021.