Mount Moriah: A Hidden Gem in Newfoundland-Labrador
Mount Moriah is a small community located in the western part of Newfoundland-Labrador, Canada. Despite its size, it is a popular destination for tourists who are looking for a peaceful and scenic getaway. The community is surrounded by natural wonders, including mountains, lakes, and trails, making it an ideal location for outdoor enthusiasts. In this article, we will explore the attractions and history of Mount Moriah.
Humber River Trail
The Humber River Trail is a popular hiking trail that runs through Mount Moriah. The trail is approximately 10 kilometers long and offers stunning views of the Humber River and the surrounding mountains. It is a moderate-level trail, making it suitable for hikers of all skill levels. Along the way, hikers can spot wildlife such as moose, beavers, and bald eagles.
Marble Mountain Ski Resort
Marble Mountain Ski Resort is located just a few kilometers from Mount Moriah. It is one of the largest ski resorts in eastern Canada, offering a variety of winter activities such as skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing. In the summer, the resort offers hiking and mountain biking trails, as well as a zip line and an aerial park.
Humber Valley Golf Resort
The Humber Valley Golf Resort is a world-class golf course located in the heart of Mount Moriah. The course was designed by renowned golf course architect Doug Carrick and offers stunning views of the Humber River and the surrounding mountains. It is a challenging course, making it suitable for experienced golfers.
Humber Valley Strawberry Festival
The Humber Valley Strawberry Festival is an annual event that takes place in Mount Moriah. The festival celebrates the local strawberry harvest and features live music, food vendors, and a variety of activities for all ages. It is a great way to experience the local culture and meet the friendly residents of Mount Moriah.
Mount Moriah was established in the early 1900s as a logging and farming community. The community was named after the biblical Mount Moriah, which is located in Jerusalem. The community was officially incorporated in 1975 and has since grown into a popular tourist destination.
The person who started the community is not known, as it was established by a group of settlers who came to the area to farm and log. However, the community has a rich history and is home to many historic buildings and landmarks.
Mount Moriah is a hidden gem in Newfoundland-Labrador, offering a variety of attractions and natural wonders for tourists to explore. Whether you are looking for a peaceful hiking trail or an adrenaline-pumping ski resort, Mount Moriah has something for everyone. The community's rich history and friendly residents make it a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Newfoundland-Labrador.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism. (n.d.). Marble Mountain Resort. https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/plan-and-book/attractions/210799
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism. (n.d.). Humber Valley Golf Resort. https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/plan-and-book/attractions/210800
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism. (n.d.). Humber River Trail. https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/plan-and-book/hiking-and-walking-trails/210797
- Town of Mount Moriah. (n.d.). About Us. https://townofmountmoriah.ca/about-us/
- Town of Mount Moriah. (n.d.). Humber Valley Strawberry Festival. https://townofmountmoriah.ca/humber-valley-strawberry-festival/
- Wikipedia. (2021, August 17). Mount Moriah, Newfoundland and Labrador. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Moriah,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador