Port Elgin: A Hidden Gem in New Brunswick
Port Elgin is a small community located in the southeastern part of New Brunswick, Canada. Despite its size, it offers a variety of attractions and natural wonders that make it a must-visit destination for tourists. In this article, we will explore the history of Port Elgin and highlight some of the best things to see and do in the area.
History of Port Elgin
Port Elgin was established in 1816 by a group of Loyalists who had fled the United States after the American Revolution. The community was named after Elgin, Scotland, the birthplace of Lord Elgin, who was the Governor General of Canada at the time. Port Elgin was officially incorporated as a village in 1966.
Attractions and Natural Wonders
- The Sackville Waterfowl Park: This park is home to over 160 species of birds and is a popular spot for birdwatching. Visitors can also enjoy walking trails and picnic areas.
- The Port Elgin Beach: This sandy beach is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing. It also offers stunning views of the Northumberland Strait.
- The Cape Jourimain Nature Centre: This centre offers educational exhibits and programs about the local wildlife and ecology. Visitors can also explore the nearby trails and boardwalks.
- The Fort Beauséjour – Fort Cumberland National Historic Site: This site is home to two historic forts that played a significant role in the history of Canada. Visitors can explore the exhibits and learn about the battles that took place here.
- The Fundy Trail Parkway: This scenic drive offers breathtaking views of the Bay of Fundy and its rugged coastline. Visitors can also hike the nearby trails and explore the waterfalls and beaches.
- The Port Elgin Farmers' Market: This market offers a variety of fresh produce, baked goods, and crafts from local vendors. It is open every Saturday from May to October.
Festivals and Events
- The Port Elgin Winter Carnival: This annual event features ice skating, snowshoeing, and other winter activities. It also includes a parade and a chili cook-off.
- The Port Elgin Bluegrass Festival: This festival features live music from some of the best bluegrass bands in Canada and the United States. It also includes workshops and jam sessions.
- The Port Elgin Fall Fair: This fair features agricultural exhibits, live entertainment, and a midway. It is a great way to experience the local culture and traditions.
Port Elgin may be a small community, but it offers a wealth of attractions and natural wonders that make it a great destination for tourists. From the beautiful beaches to the historic forts, there is something for everyone to enjoy. So why not plan a trip to Port Elgin and discover this hidden gem for yourself?
- Tourism New Brunswick. (n.d.). Port Elgin. https://tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/P/P/Port-Elgin.aspx
- Village of Port Elgin. (n.d.). History. https://www.villageofportelgin.com/history
- Sackville Waterfowl Park. (n.d.). About Us. https://sackville.com/waterfowl-park/about-us/
- Cape Jourimain Nature Centre. (n.d.). About Us. https://www.capejourimain.ca/about-us/
- Parks Canada. (n.d.). Fort Beauséjour – Fort Cumberland National Historic Site. https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/nb/beausejour
- Fundy Trail Parkway. (n.d.). Home. https://fundytrailparkway.com/
- Port Elgin Farmers' Market. (n.d.). Home. https://www.facebook.com/PortElginFarmersMarket/
- Port Elgin Winter Carnival. (n.d.). Home. https://www.facebook.com/PortElginWinterCarnival/
- Port Elgin Bluegrass Festival. (n.d.). Home. https://www.facebook.com/PortElginBluegrassFestival/
- Port Elgin Fall Fair. (n.d.). Home. https://www.facebook.com/PortElginFallFair/