Grand Falls, New-Brunswick: A Hidden Gem in Canada
Grand Falls, New-Brunswick is a small town located in the northwestern part of the province. It is known for its natural beauty, outdoor activities, and friendly locals. The town is situated on the Saint John River, which provides a stunning backdrop for many of the town's attractions. Visitors to Grand Falls will find plenty to see and do, from hiking and fishing to exploring the town's rich history.
- Grand Falls Gorge: This natural wonder is a must-see for visitors to Grand Falls. The gorge is a 1.6-kilometer-long canyon that was carved out by the Saint John River. Visitors can walk along the edge of the gorge and take in the stunning views of the rushing water below.
- Falls and Gorge Park: This park is located near the Grand Falls Gorge and offers a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking, fishing, and picnicking. The park also has a playground and a splash pad for children.
- Zip Zag: This zipline adventure takes visitors on a thrilling ride over the Saint John River. The zipline is 1,100 feet long and reaches speeds of up to 50 miles per hour.
- Grand Falls Farmers Market: This market is open on Saturdays from May to October and features local vendors selling fresh produce, baked goods, and handmade crafts.
- Grand Falls Museum: This museum showcases the history of Grand Falls, including its early settlers and the development of the town's industries.
- Mount Carleton Provincial Park: This park is located about an hour's drive from Grand Falls and is home to the highest peak in the Maritimes. Visitors can hike to the top of Mount Carleton for stunning views of the surrounding wilderness.
- Tobique River: This river is a popular spot for fishing and canoeing. Visitors can rent canoes and kayaks from local outfitters and explore the river's calm waters.
- Grand Falls Reservoir: This reservoir is a great spot for boating and fishing. Visitors can rent boats from local outfitters and spend the day on the water.
- Grand Falls Potato Festival: This festival celebrates the town's potato industry with live music, food vendors, and a potato-themed parade.
- Grand Falls Winter Carnival: This carnival takes place in February and features ice sculptures, snowshoeing, and other winter activities.
Grand Falls was established in 1785 by Loyalists who fled the United States after the American Revolution. The town was officially incorporated in 1890 and was named after the Grand Falls on the Saint John River. The town's early industries included logging, farming, and sawmills. In the early 1900s, the town became a hub for the pulp and paper industry, which remains an important part of the local economy today.
Grand Falls, New-Brunswick is a hidden gem in Canada that offers visitors a unique blend of natural beauty and rich history. From the stunning Grand Falls Gorge to the outdoor activities available in the surrounding wilderness, there is something for everyone in this charming town.
- "Grand Falls Gorge." Tourism New Brunswick. https://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/G/Grand-Falls-Gorge.aspx
- "Falls and Gorge Park." Town of Grand Falls. https://grandfalls.ca/falls-and-gorge-park/
- "Zip Zag." Zip Zag. https://www.zipzag.ca/
- "Grand Falls Farmers Market." Town of Grand Falls. https://grandfalls.ca/farmers-market/
- "Grand Falls Museum." Town of Grand Falls. https://grandfalls.ca/museum/
- "Mount Carleton Provincial Park." Tourism New Brunswick. https://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/M/Mount-Carleton-Provincial-Park.aspx
- "Tobique River." Tourism New Brunswick. https://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/T/Tobique-River.aspx
- "Grand Falls Reservoir." Town of Grand Falls. https://grandfalls.ca/grand-falls-reservoir/
- "Grand Falls Potato Festival." Town of Grand Falls. https://grandfalls.ca/potato-festival/
- "Grand Falls Winter Carnival." Town of Grand Falls. https://grandfalls.ca/winter-carnival/