Eel Ground: A Hidden Gem in New Brunswick
Eel Ground is a small community located in the northeastern part of New Brunswick, Canada. Despite its size, it offers a variety of attractions and natural wonders that are worth exploring. From parks and lakes to trails and festivals, Eel Ground has something for everyone.
One of the most popular attractions in Eel Ground is the Eel Ground First Nation Powwow. This annual festival celebrates the culture and traditions of the Mi'kmaq people and features traditional dancing, drumming, and singing. Visitors can also enjoy traditional food and crafts.
Another must-see attraction is the Eel Ground War Memorial. This monument honors the brave men and women who served in the Canadian Armed Forces and lost their lives in the line of duty. It is a solemn reminder of the sacrifices made by those who fought for our freedom.
Eel Ground is home to several beautiful parks and lakes. The Eel Ground First Nation Park is a popular spot for picnics, hiking, and fishing. The park features a playground, a basketball court, and a baseball field. Visitors can also rent canoes and kayaks to explore the nearby Eel River.
Another natural wonder in Eel Ground is the Eel Ground Lake. This pristine lake is surrounded by lush forests and offers excellent fishing opportunities. Visitors can catch a variety of fish, including trout, bass, and pickerel.
Eel Ground was established in the early 1800s by the Mi'kmaq people. The community was named after the nearby Eel River, which was an important source of food for the Mi'kmaq. In 1972, Eel Ground was officially incorporated as a First Nation reserve.
The person who started the community is not known, as the Mi'kmaq have lived in the area for thousands of years before the arrival of Europeans.
Eel Ground may be a small community, but it has a rich history and plenty of attractions and natural wonders to explore. Whether you're interested in learning about Mi'kmaq culture, fishing, or hiking, Eel Ground has something for everyone.
- "Eel Ground First Nation." Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada. https://fnp-ppn.aandc-aadnc.gc.ca/fnp/Main/Search/FNMain.aspx?BAND_NUMBER=013&lang=eng
- "Eel Ground First Nation Park." Eel Ground First Nation. https://www.eelgroundfirstnation.ca/eel-ground-first-nation-park
- "Eel Ground Lake." New Brunswick Fishing. https://www.newbrunswickfishing.com/eel-ground-lake/
- "Eel Ground War Memorial." Veterans Affairs Canada. https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/80004023
- "Eel Ground First Nation Powwow." Tourism New Brunswick. https://tourismnewbrunswick.ca/listing/eel-ground-first-nation-powwow
- "Eel Ground First Nation." Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eel_Ground_First_Nation