Winnipeg Beach: A Hidden Gem in Manitoba
Winnipeg Beach is a small community located on the shores of Lake Winnipeg in Manitoba, Canada. This hidden gem is a popular destination for tourists looking for a relaxing getaway. With its beautiful beaches, parks, and natural wonders, Winnipeg Beach has something for everyone.
- Winnipeg Beach Provincial Park: This park is located on the shores of Lake Winnipeg and offers a variety of activities, including swimming, boating, and fishing. The park also has picnic areas, playgrounds, and hiking trails.
- Boardwalk: The boardwalk is a popular attraction in Winnipeg Beach. It stretches along the beach and offers stunning views of the lake.
- Bandstand: The bandstand is a historic landmark in Winnipeg Beach. It was built in 1915 and is still used for concerts and events.
- Pavilion: The pavilion is another historic landmark in Winnipeg Beach. It was built in 1909 and is now used for weddings and other events.
- Ice Cream Parlour: The ice cream parlour is a must-visit attraction in Winnipeg Beach. It offers a variety of delicious ice cream flavours and is a favourite among locals and tourists alike.
- Sunset Beach: Sunset Beach is a beautiful spot to watch the sunset over Lake Winnipeg. It is a popular spot for photographers and nature lovers.
- Balsam Bay: Balsam Bay is a secluded beach located just outside of Winnipeg Beach. It is a great spot for swimming and picnicking.
- Netley Marsh: Netley Marsh is a wetland area located near Winnipeg Beach. It is home to a variety of wildlife, including birds and beavers.
- Brokenhead Wetland Ecological Reserve: This reserve is located just north of Winnipeg Beach and is home to a variety of rare plant and animal species.
- Winnipeg Beach Family Fun Days: This festival takes place every summer and includes a variety of activities, including a parade, live music, and a fireworks display.
- Winnipeg Beach Farmers Market: The farmers market takes place every Saturday during the summer months and offers a variety of fresh produce and handmade goods.
Winnipeg Beach was established in 1900 by Sir William Whyte, a prominent businessman and railway executive. The community was incorporated as a village in 1908 and became a town in 1913. Whyte envisioned Winnipeg Beach as a resort town for Winnipeg residents and built many of the community's historic landmarks, including the bandstand and pavilion.
Winnipeg Beach is a hidden gem in Manitoba that offers a variety of attractions, natural wonders, and festivals. Whether you're looking for a relaxing getaway or an adventure-filled vacation, Winnipeg Beach has something for everyone.
- Manitoba Parks. (n.d.). Winnipeg Beach Provincial Park. https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/popular_parks/central/winnipeg-beach.html
- Travel Manitoba. (n.d.). Winnipeg Beach. https://www.travelmanitoba.com/places-to-go/winnipeg-beach/
- Winnipeg Beach Historical Society. (n.d.). Winnipeg Beach History. http://www.winnipegbeachhistory.com/history.html
- Manitoba Historical Society. (n.d.). Winnipeg Beach. http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/winnipegbeach.shtml
- Netley-Libau Marsh. (n.d.). Netley-Libau Marsh. https://www.netleymarsh.com/
- Manitoba Farmers Market Association. (n.d.). Winnipeg Beach Farmers Market. https://www.mfma.ca/markets/winnipeg-beach-farmers-market/