Shamattawa: A Hidden Gem in Manitoba
Shamattawa is a small community located in northern Manitoba, Canada. Despite its size, it is a hidden gem that offers a unique travel experience for those who are looking for an adventure. From its natural wonders to its cultural attractions, Shamattawa has something for everyone.
One of the most popular attractions in Shamattawa is the Northern Lights. This natural wonder can be seen from late August to early April. Visitors can take a guided tour to see the lights or simply step outside and look up at the sky.
Shamattawa is also known for its excellent fishing opportunities. The community is located near several lakes, including the Hayes River, which is home to a variety of fish species, including walleye, northern pike, and lake trout.
Shamattawa is home to several cultural attractions, including the Northern Store Museum, which showcases the history of the community, and the Shamattawa Heritage Centre, which features exhibits on the local Indigenous culture.
Parks and Trails
The community is surrounded by beautiful parks and trails, including the Hayes River Trail, which offers stunning views of the river and the surrounding wilderness.
Shamattawa hosts several festivals throughout the year, including the Northern Lights Festival, which celebrates the natural wonder of the Northern Lights, and the Shamattawa Winter Carnival, which features snowmobile races, ice fishing, and other winter activities.
Shamattawa was established in the early 1900s as a trading post for the Hudson's Bay Company. The community was incorporated in 1970 and has since grown to become a thriving hub for the surrounding area.
The community was founded by a man named John McLeod, who was a fur trader for the Hudson's Bay Company. McLeod established the trading post in the early 1900s and it quickly became a hub for the surrounding Indigenous communities.
Shamattawa may be a small community, but it offers a unique travel experience that is unlike any other. From its natural wonders to its cultural attractions, there is something for everyone in this hidden gem of northern Manitoba.
- "Shamattawa." Travel Manitoba, www.travelmanitoba.com/places-to-go/northern-manitoba/shamattawa/.
- "Shamattawa Heritage Centre." Manitoba Indigenous Cultural Education Centre, www.micec.com/shamattawa-heritage-centre/.
- "Northern Lights." Northern Manitoba Tourism, www.northernmanitobatourism.com/northern-lights/.
- "Hayes River Trail." AllTrails, www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/manitoba/hayes-river-trail.
- "Shamattawa Winter Carnival." Northern Manitoba Tourism, www.northernmanitobatourism.com/shamattawa-winter-carnival/.
- "Shamattawa Northern Store Museum." Manitoba Historical Society, www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/shamattawanorthernstoremuseum.shtml.