Rivers, Manitoba: A Hidden Gem in Canada
Rivers, Manitoba is a small community located in the southwestern part of the province. Despite its size, it offers a variety of attractions and natural wonders that make it a must-visit destination for tourists. From parks and lakes to trails and festivals, Rivers has something for everyone.
- Rivers Provincial Park: This park is located on the shores of Lake Wahtopanah and offers camping, fishing, and hiking opportunities.
- Rivers Train Station: This historic train station was built in 1901 and now serves as a museum.
- Rivers Heritage Centre: This museum showcases the history of the community and its surrounding area.
- Rivers Golf Course: This 9-hole golf course is located on the outskirts of the community and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Rivers Wildlife Management Area: This area is home to a variety of wildlife, including deer, moose, and waterfowl.
- Lake Wahtopanah: This lake is a popular spot for fishing and boating.
- Rivers Reservoir: This reservoir is a great spot for birdwatching and hiking.
- Assiniboine River: This river runs through the community and offers opportunities for fishing and canoeing.
- Rivers Nature Trail: This trail winds through the community and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Rivers Agricultural Society Fair: This annual fair showcases the agricultural heritage of the community and features livestock shows, a parade, and a midway.
- Rivers Homecoming: This biennial event brings together current and former residents of the community for a weekend of festivities.
Rivers was established in 1882 as a stop on the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was named after James Rivers, a prominent businessman and politician in the area. The community was officially incorporated as a village in 1907 and as a town in 1966.
Rivers, Manitoba may be a small community, but it offers a wealth of attractions and natural wonders that make it a must-visit destination for tourists. From its parks and lakes to its trails and festivals, there is something for everyone in Rivers.
- "Rivers, Manitoba." Travel Manitoba. https://www.travelmanitoba.com/places-to-go/western/rivers/
- "Rivers Provincial Park." Manitoba Parks. https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/popular_parks/western/rivers.html
- "Rivers Heritage Centre." Rivers Heritage Centre. http://www.riversheritagecentre.ca/
- "Rivers Golf Course." Rivers Golf Course. http://www.riversgolfcourse.ca/
- "Rivers Wildlife Management Area." Manitoba Sustainable Development. https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/wildlife/habcons/wma/rivers.html
- "Rivers Agricultural Society Fair." Rivers Agricultural Society. http://www.riversagsociety.com/fair/