Oxford House: A Hidden Gem in Manitoba
Nestled in the heart of Manitoba, Oxford House is a small community that offers a unique blend of natural beauty and cultural heritage. With its pristine lakes, lush forests, and rich history, Oxford House is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to experience the best of Canada's wilderness and culture.
Attractions and Natural Wonders
Oxford House is home to a number of natural wonders and attractions that are sure to delight visitors of all ages. Some of the most popular attractions in the area include:
- Oxford Lake: This beautiful lake is a popular spot for fishing, boating, and swimming. With its crystal-clear waters and stunning scenery, it's no wonder that Oxford Lake is one of the most beloved natural attractions in the area.
- Oxford House Heritage Park: This park is home to a number of historic buildings and artifacts that offer a glimpse into the rich history of Oxford House. Visitors can explore the park's many exhibits and learn about the community's early settlers and Indigenous heritage.
- Oxford House Trading Post: This historic trading post is one of the oldest buildings in the area, and it offers a fascinating look at the early days of the fur trade in Canada. Visitors can explore the trading post's many exhibits and learn about the important role that the fur trade played in the development of the region.
- Oxford House Cemetery: This historic cemetery is the final resting place of many of the community's early settlers and Indigenous residents. Visitors can explore the cemetery's many gravesites and learn about the lives of the people who helped shape Oxford House into the vibrant community it is today.
Parks, Lakes, and Trails
In addition to its many attractions and natural wonders, Oxford House is also home to a number of parks, lakes, and trails that offer endless opportunities for outdoor adventure. Some of the most popular outdoor destinations in the area include:
- Oxford House Provincial Park: This beautiful park is home to a number of hiking trails, picnic areas, and campsites. With its stunning scenery and abundant wildlife, it's the perfect place to experience the natural beauty of Manitoba.
- Oxford Lake Walking Trail: This scenic trail winds its way around the shores of Oxford Lake, offering stunning views of the water and surrounding wilderness. It's a great place to go for a leisurely stroll or a brisk hike.
- Oxford House ATV Trail: This rugged trail is perfect for off-road enthusiasts who want to explore the wilderness around Oxford House. With its challenging terrain and stunning scenery, it's a must-visit destination for anyone who loves adventure.
Festivals and Events
Throughout the year, Oxford House plays host to a number of festivals and events that celebrate the community's rich cultural heritage. Some of the most popular events in the area include:
- Oxford House Winter Festival: This annual festival celebrates the beauty of winter in Manitoba with a variety of outdoor activities, including ice fishing, snowshoeing, and dog sledding.
- Oxford House Pow Wow: This traditional Indigenous gathering is a celebration of dance, music, and culture. Visitors can experience the vibrant sights and sounds of the pow wow and learn about the rich history of the Indigenous people who call Oxford House home.
A Brief History of Oxford House
Oxford House was established in 1798 as a fur trading post by the Hudson's Bay Company. The community was named after the Earl of Oxford, who was a shareholder in the company. In the early days of the fur trade, Oxford House was an important hub for the transportation of furs and other goods to and from the interior of Canada.
In 1976, Oxford House was officially incorporated as a village, and it has since grown into a vibrant community that is home to a diverse population of Indigenous and non-Indigenous residents.
Whether you're looking to explore the natural beauty of Manitoba or learn about the rich cultural heritage of the Indigenous people who call Oxford House home, this small community has something for everyone. With its stunning lakes, lush forests, and fascinating history, Oxford House is a hidden gem that is just waiting to be discovered.
- Manitoba Parks and Protected Areas. (n.d.). Oxford House Provincial Park. https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/popular_parks/northeast/oxford.html
- Oxford House Heritage Park. (n.d.). Oxford House Heritage Park. https://www.oxfordhouseheritagepark.ca/
- Oxford House Trading Post. (n.d.). Oxford House Trading Post. https://www.oxfordhousetradingpost.com/
- Oxford House Winter Festival. (n.d.). Oxford House Winter Festival. https://www.facebook.com/Oxford-House-Winter-Festival-105947874109/
- Oxford Lake Walking Trail. (n.d.). Oxford Lake Walking Trail. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/manitoba/oxford-lake-walking-trail
- Oxford House Pow Wow. (n.d.). Oxford House Pow Wow. https://www.facebook.com/Oxford-House-Pow-Wow-101501045045802/