Oakbank, Manitoba: A Hidden Gem in Canada
Oakbank, Manitoba is a small community located in the southeastern part of the province. Despite its size, Oakbank has a lot to offer visitors who are looking for a peaceful and relaxing getaway. From natural wonders to cultural attractions, Oakbank has something for everyone.
Oak Hammock Marsh
Oak Hammock Marsh is a 36 square kilometer wildlife management area located just outside of Oakbank. The marsh is home to over 300 species of birds, making it a popular destination for birdwatchers. Visitors can also enjoy hiking, canoeing, and snowshoeing in the marsh.
Oakbank Heritage Park
Oakbank Heritage Park is a small park located in the heart of the community. The park features a playground, picnic area, and a walking trail. It is also home to the Oakbank Heritage Museum, which showcases the history of the community.
Oakbank Golf and Country Club
The Oakbank Golf and Country Club is a 9-hole golf course located just outside of the community. The course is open to the public and offers a challenging round of golf in a beautiful setting.
Oakbank Pond is a small man-made pond located in the center of the community. The pond is a popular spot for fishing and picnicking.
Bird's Hill Provincial Park
Bird's Hill Provincial Park is located just a short drive from Oakbank. The park features over 30 kilometers of hiking and biking trails, as well as a beach and picnic area.
Beaudry Provincial Park
Beaudry Provincial Park is another nearby park that is worth a visit. The park features hiking trails, a beach, and a picnic area.
Oakbank Family Fun Day
Oakbank Family Fun Day is an annual event that takes place in the summer. The event features live music, food vendors, and a variety of activities for all ages.
Oakbank Winter Carnival
The Oakbank Winter Carnival is another annual event that takes place in the winter. The event features ice skating, sleigh rides, and a variety of winter activities.
Oakbank was established in 1884 by William B. Ross, who named the community after the oak trees that grew in the area. The community was officially incorporated in 1914. Today, Oakbank is a thriving community that is home to over 4,000 residents.
Oakbank, Manitoba may be a small community, but it has a lot to offer visitors who are looking for a peaceful and relaxing getaway. From natural wonders to cultural attractions, Oakbank has something for everyone. Whether you're interested in birdwatching, hiking, or just relaxing in a beautiful setting, Oakbank is definitely worth a visit.
- Travel Manitoba. (n.d.). Oakbank. Retrieved from https://www.travelmanitoba.com/places-to-go/central/oakbank/
- Oakbank Golf and Country Club. (n.d.). Home. Retrieved from https://www.oakbankgolf.com/
- Manitoba Parks. (n.d.). Beaudry Provincial Park. Retrieved from https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/popular_parks/western/beaudry.html
- Manitoba Parks. (n.d.). Bird's Hill Provincial Park. Retrieved from https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/popular_parks/eastern/birds_hill.html
- Oak Hammock Marsh. (n.d.). Home. Retrieved from https://www.oakhammockmarsh.ca/
- Oakbank Winter Carnival. (n.d.). Home. Retrieved from https://www.oakbankwintercarnival.com/