Cartwright, Manitoba: A Hidden Gem in Canada's Prairies
Cartwright, Manitoba is a small community located in the southwestern part of the province. Despite its size, it offers a variety of attractions and natural wonders that make it a must-visit destination for anyone traveling through the area.
- Cartwright Heritage Centre: This museum showcases the history of the community and the surrounding area. Visitors can learn about the early settlers, the fur trade, and the agricultural industry that has sustained the community for generations.
- Cartwright Nature Park: This park is a great place to go for a walk or a picnic. It features a playground, a baseball diamond, and a walking trail that winds through the trees.
- Cartwright Golf Course: This nine-hole course is perfect for golfers of all skill levels. It offers beautiful views of the surrounding countryside and is a great way to spend a sunny afternoon.
- Cartwright Fair: This annual event takes place in August and features a parade, a midway, and a variety of agricultural exhibits. It's a great way to experience the community's rural roots and celebrate its heritage.
- Lake Irwin: This small lake is a popular spot for fishing and boating. It's stocked with rainbow trout and offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
- Pembina Valley Provincial Park: This park is located just outside of Cartwright and offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and a campground. It's a great place to explore the natural beauty of the area.
- Pembina Valley Scenic Drive: This scenic drive takes visitors through the rolling hills and picturesque valleys of the Pembina Valley. It's a great way to see the area's natural beauty from the comfort of your car.
Cartwright was established in 1885, when the Canadian Pacific Railway was built through the area. The community was named after Richard Cartwright, a prominent politician and businessman who played a key role in the development of the railway.
Cartwright was officially incorporated as a village in 1905, and has been a hub of agricultural activity ever since. Today, it's a thriving community that celebrates its rural roots and welcomes visitors from all over the world.
Cartwright, Manitoba may be a small community, but it offers a wealth of attractions and natural wonders that make it a must-visit destination for anyone traveling through the area. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or just a relaxing getaway, Cartwright has something to offer.
- "Cartwright Heritage Centre." Travel Manitoba. https://www.travelmanitoba.com/listings/cartwright-heritage-centre/1007/
- "Cartwright Nature Park." Travel Manitoba. https://www.travelmanitoba.com/listings/cartwright-nature-park/1008/
- "Cartwright Golf Course." Travel Manitoba. https://www.travelmanitoba.com/listings/cartwright-golf-course/1009/
- "Cartwright Fair." Travel Manitoba. https://www.travelmanitoba.com/event/cartwright-fair/61434/
- "Pembina Valley Provincial Park." Travel Manitoba. https://www.travelmanitoba.com/listings/pembina-valley-provincial-park/1006/
- "Pembina Valley Scenic Drive." Travel Manitoba. https://www.travelmanitoba.com/listings/pembina-valley-scenic-drive/1010/