Telkwa: A Hidden Gem in British Columbia
Nestled in the Bulkley Valley of British Columbia, Telkwa is a small community that offers a unique blend of outdoor adventure, cultural experiences, and natural beauty. With a population of just over 1,300 people, Telkwa is a hidden gem that is waiting to be discovered by travelers who are looking for an authentic Canadian experience.
Telkwa is home to a number of attractions that are sure to delight visitors of all ages. Some of the must-see attractions in the area include:
- Telkwa Museum: This museum showcases the history of the area, including the First Nations people who have lived in the region for thousands of years.
- Tyhee Lake Provincial Park: This park is a popular spot for swimming, fishing, and boating. It also has a number of hiking trails that offer stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Telkwa BBQ on the Bend: This roadside attraction is a must-visit for anyone who loves barbecue. The restaurant serves up delicious smoked meats and has a beautiful outdoor patio that overlooks the Bulkley River.
- Telkwa Coal Mine: This historic site offers a glimpse into the area's mining past. Visitors can explore the old mine buildings and learn about the lives of the miners who worked there.
Telkwa is surrounded by some of the most beautiful natural scenery in British Columbia. Some of the natural wonders that visitors can explore include:
- Bulkley River: This river is a popular spot for fishing, kayaking, and rafting. It is also home to a number of wildlife species, including bald eagles and grizzly bears.
- Hudson Bay Mountain: This mountain offers some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the area. In the summer, visitors can hike to the summit for stunning views of the valley below.
- Babine Mountains Provincial Park: This park is a wilderness area that is home to a number of hiking trails, alpine lakes, and stunning mountain vistas.
Telkwa is known for its vibrant community spirit, and there are a number of festivals and events that take place throughout the year. Some of the most popular festivals include:
- Telkwa Barbecue on the Bend: This annual event takes place in August and features live music, delicious food, and a beer garden.
- Telkwa Derby: This fishing derby takes place in September and is a popular event for anglers from all over the region.
- Telkwa Fall Fair: This fair takes place in September and features a variety of agricultural exhibits, live music, and a parade.
Telkwa was founded in the late 1800s as a trading post for the First Nations people who lived in the area. The community was officially incorporated in 1958, and today it is a thriving hub for outdoor recreation and cultural experiences.
The person who is credited with starting the community is John French, who established a trading post on the banks of the Bulkley River in the late 1800s. French was a fur trader who saw the potential for a settlement in the area, and he worked to establish a community that would serve the needs of the First Nations people who lived in the region.
Telkwa is a hidden gem in British Columbia that offers a unique blend of outdoor adventure, cultural experiences, and natural beauty. Whether you are looking to explore the area's history, hike through the mountains, or simply relax by the river, Telkwa has something for everyone.
- Telkwa Museum
- Tyhee Lake Provincial Park
- Telkwa BBQ on the Bend
- Telkwa Coal Mine
- Bulkley River
- Hudson Bay Mountain
- Babine Mountains Provincial Park
- Telkwa Barbecue on the Bend
- Telkwa Derby
- Telkwa Fall Fair