Summerland, British Columbia: A Hidden Gem for Travel and Tourism
Summerland, British Columbia is a small town located in the Okanagan Valley, known for its beautiful scenery, wineries, and outdoor activities. With a population of just over 11,000 people, Summerland is a hidden gem for those looking for a peaceful and relaxing vacation.
Summerland has a variety of attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the top attractions in the area:
- Summerland Ornamental Gardens: This beautiful garden is located on the edge of town and features a variety of plants and flowers. Visitors can take a self-guided tour or join a guided tour to learn more about the garden's history and plants.
- Kettle Valley Steam Railway: This historic railway offers scenic tours through the Okanagan Valley. Visitors can choose from a variety of tours, including a wine tour and a dinner train.
- Sumac Ridge Estate Winery: This winery is one of the oldest in the Okanagan Valley and offers tastings and tours. Visitors can also enjoy a picnic on the winery's grounds.
- Giant's Head Mountain: This mountain offers hiking trails and stunning views of the Okanagan Valley. Visitors can hike to the top of the mountain for a panoramic view of the area.
- Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa: This resort offers luxurious accommodations and a variety of amenities, including a spa, fitness center, and outdoor pool.
Summerland is surrounded by natural wonders, including lakes, parks, and trails. Here are some of the top natural wonders in the area:
- Okanagan Lake: This large lake is perfect for swimming, boating, and fishing. Visitors can also enjoy a picnic on the lake's shore.
- Giant's Head Park: This park is located on the side of Giant's Head Mountain and offers hiking trails and stunning views of the Okanagan Valley.
- Peach Orchard Beach: This beach is located on the shore of Okanagan Lake and offers a sandy beach and picnic area.
- Summerland Trout Hatchery: This hatchery is located on the shore of Trout Creek and offers tours and educational programs about fish and wildlife in the area.
Summerland is home to a variety of festivals throughout the year. Here are some of the top festivals in the area:
- Summerland Festival of Lights: This festival takes place in December and features a parade, fireworks, and holiday lights.
- Summerland Action Festival: This festival takes place in June and features a parade, live music, and a car show.
- Summerland Fall Fair: This fair takes place in September and features agricultural exhibits, live music, and a midway.
Summerland was established in 1902 by John Moore Robinson, who named the town after the beautiful summer weather in the area. The town was officially incorporated in 1906 and has since grown into a thriving community.
Summerland, British Columbia is a hidden gem for travel and tourism. With its beautiful scenery, wineries, and outdoor activities, there is something for everyone in this small town. Whether you're looking for a peaceful vacation or an adventure-filled trip, Summerland has it all.
- "Summerland, British Columbia." Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 22 June 2021.
- "Summerland Ornamental Gardens." District of Summerland, 2021.
- "Kettle Valley Steam Railway." Kettle Valley Steam Railway, 2021.
- "Sumac Ridge Estate Winery." Sumac Ridge Estate Winery, 2021.
- "Giant's Head Mountain." District of Summerland, 2021.
- "Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa." Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa, 2021.
- "Okanagan Lake." Tourism Kelowna, 2021.
- "Giant's Head Park." District of Summerland, 2021.
- "Peach Orchard Beach." District of Summerland, 2021.
- "Summerland Trout Hatchery." Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, 2021.
- "Summerland Festival of Lights." District of Summerland, 2021.
- "Summerland Action Festival." Summerland Action Festival Society, 2021.
- "Summerland Fall Fair." Summerland Fall Fair, 2021.