Sechelt: A Hidden Gem in British Columbia
Sechelt is a small community located on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, Canada. It is a popular destination for tourists who are looking for a peaceful and relaxing vacation. Sechelt is known for its stunning natural beauty, friendly locals, and unique attractions. In this article, we will explore the top attractions, natural wonders, parks, lakes, trails, roadside attractions, and festivals that Sechelt has to offer.
- Sechelt Farmers' and Artisans' Market: This market is held every Saturday from April to September. It features local produce, handmade crafts, and live music.
- Sechelt Marsh: This marsh is a popular spot for birdwatching. Visitors can see a variety of birds, including eagles, herons, and ducks.
- Sechelt Inlet: This inlet is a great place for kayaking and paddleboarding. Visitors can also go fishing or take a boat tour.
- Sechelt Downtown: The downtown area of Sechelt is full of unique shops, restaurants, and galleries. Visitors can find everything from handmade jewelry to locally roasted coffee.
- Porpoise Bay Provincial Park: This park is located on the shores of Porpoise Bay. It features a sandy beach, hiking trails, and a playground.
- Hidden Grove: This park is a hidden gem in Sechelt. It features a network of trails through a forest of giant trees and ferns.
- Sechelt Rapids: These rapids are located at the entrance to Sechelt Inlet. Visitors can watch the rapids from the shore or take a boat tour.
- Kinnikinnick Park: This park is located in the heart of Sechelt. It features a playground, picnic tables, and a skate park.
- Hackett Park: This park is home to the Sechelt Arts Festival and the Sechelt Farmers' and Artisans' Market. It also features a playground, tennis courts, and a baseball diamond.
- Trout Lake: This lake is located in the mountains above Sechelt. It is a popular spot for swimming, fishing, and hiking.
- Sakinaw Lake: This lake is located north of Sechelt. It is a popular spot for boating and fishing.
- Sunshine Coast Trail: This trail is a 180-kilometer hiking trail that runs from Sarah Point to Saltery Bay. It passes through Sechelt and offers stunning views of the coast.
- Sechelt Heritage Hidden Groves Trail: This trail is a 2.5-kilometer loop through Hidden Grove. It features giant trees, ferns, and a waterfall.
- Davis Bay Pier: This pier is a popular spot for fishing and crabbing. It also offers stunning views of the coast.
- Sechelt Sign: This sign is located at the entrance to Sechelt. It is a popular spot for taking photos.
- Sechelt Arts Festival: This festival is held every August. It features local artists, musicians, and performers.
- Hackett Park Arts & Crafts Fair: This fair is held every July. It features handmade crafts, live music, and food vendors.
Sechelt was established in the late 1800s as a logging and fishing community. It was incorporated as a village in 1956 and became a district municipality in 1986. The community was named after Captain Walter C. Sechelt, who was a local First Nations leader and a friend of the early settlers.
Sechelt is a hidden gem in British Columbia that offers something for everyone. Whether you are looking for outdoor adventures, unique attractions, or a peaceful getaway, Sechelt has it all. With its stunning natural beauty, friendly locals, and rich history, Sechelt is a must-visit destination on the Sunshine Coast.
- Sechelt Downtown Business Association: http://www.secheltdowntown.com/
- Sunshine Coast Tourism: https://sunshinecoastcanada.com/
- Porpoise Bay Provincial Park: https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/porpoise/
- Hidden Grove: https://www.sunshinecoast-trail.com/hidden-grove/
- Sechelt Inlet: https://www.sunshinecoastcanada.com/explore/sechelt-inlet/
- Kinnikinnick Park: https://www.sechelt.ca/Residents/Parks-Facilities/Parks/Kinnikinnick-Park)
- Hackett Park: https://www.sechelt.ca/Residents/Parks-Facilities/Parks/Hackett-Park)
- Sunshine Coast Trail: https://www.sunshinecoast-trail.com/
- Sechelt Heritage Hidden Groves Trail: https://www.sunshinecoast-trail.com/sechelt-heritage-hidden-groves-trail/
- Davis Bay Pier: https://www.sunshinecoastcanada.com/explore/davis-bay-pier/
- Sechelt Arts Festival: https://www.secheltartsfestival.com/
- Hackett Park Arts & Crafts Fair: https://www.secheltartsfestival.com/hackett-park-arts-crafts-fair/