Houston, British Columbia: A Hidden Gem in Northern BC
Nestled in the heart of the Bulkley Valley, Houston, British Columbia is a small community with a big heart. Surrounded by stunning natural beauty, Houston offers visitors a chance to experience the great outdoors while also enjoying the comforts of a welcoming community. From hiking and fishing to cultural events and festivals, there is something for everyone in Houston.
- Steelhead Park: This beautiful park is located on the banks of the Bulkley River and offers visitors a chance to relax and enjoy the scenery. The park features picnic areas, a playground, and a boat launch.
- Morice Mountain Nordic Ski Club: This ski club offers over 45 km of groomed cross-country ski trails for all skill levels. The trails wind through the beautiful forests and hills surrounding Houston.
- Houston Mountain Bike Association: This association maintains over 50 km of mountain bike trails in the Houston area. The trails range from beginner to advanced and offer stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Houston Leisure Facility: This facility features a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, and fitness centre. It also offers a variety of fitness classes and programs for all ages.
- Houston Farmer's Market: This weekly market offers fresh produce, baked goods, and crafts from local vendors. It is held every Saturday from May to October.
- Morice River: This beautiful river winds through the Bulkley Valley and offers excellent fishing opportunities for salmon and steelhead.
- Silvern Lake: This small lake is located just outside of Houston and offers great fishing and camping opportunities.
- Tweedsmuir Provincial Park: This park is located just south of Houston and offers visitors a chance to explore the stunning wilderness of the Coast Mountains. It features hiking trails, fishing opportunities, and beautiful scenery.
- Houston Harvest Festival: This annual festival celebrates the harvest season with live music, food vendors, and a farmers market. It is held in September.
- Houston Hometown Christmas: This annual event features a parade, tree lighting ceremony, and visits with Santa Claus. It is held in December.
Houston was established in 1904 as a stop on the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. It was named after William C. Houston, a prominent railway engineer. The community was officially incorporated in 1957 and has since grown into a thriving community with a population of over 3,000.
Whether you are looking for outdoor adventure or a chance to relax and unwind, Houston, British Columbia has something for everyone. With its stunning natural beauty and welcoming community, it is truly a hidden gem in Northern BC.
- District of Houston: https://www.houston.ca/
- Houston Today: https://www.houston-today.com/
- Explore BC: https://www.hellobc.com/places-to-go/northern-bc/houston/
- Morice Mountain Nordic Ski Club: https://moricemountainnordic.ca/
- Houston Mountain Bike Association: https://www.houstonmountainbike.ca/
- BC Parks: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/tweedsmr/