Errington, British Columbia: A Hidden Gem for Nature Lovers
Errington, British Columbia is a small community located on Vancouver Island, approximately 10 kilometers west of Parksville. Despite its small size, Errington is a hidden gem for nature lovers, offering a variety of outdoor activities and natural wonders to explore.
One of the most popular attractions in Errington is the North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre. This non-profit organization is dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife. Visitors can take a guided tour of the facility and see a variety of animals, including eagles, owls, and bears.
Another must-see attraction in Errington is the Englishman River Falls Provincial Park. This park features two stunning waterfalls, as well as hiking trails and picnic areas. Visitors can also fish for trout in the river.
For those interested in history, the Errington War Memorial Hall is worth a visit. This historic building was built in 1922 to honor the local soldiers who fought in World War I. Today, it serves as a community center and event space.
Errington is surrounded by natural beauty, including several parks and lakes. Top natural wonders to explore include:
- Top Bridge Regional Park: This park features a suspension bridge over the Englishman River, as well as hiking and mountain biking trails.
- Spider Lake Provincial Park: This park is a popular spot for swimming, fishing, and kayaking.
- Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park: This park features a series of waterfalls and hiking trails.
Errington is home to several festivals throughout the year, including:
- Errington Farmers Market: This weekly market runs from May to September and features local produce, crafts, and live music.
- Hi Neighbour Day: This annual event takes place in August and includes a parade, live music, and a community barbecue.
Errington was established in the late 1800s as a logging and farming community. It was named after William Errington, who was a member of the British Columbia Legislative Assembly. The community was officially incorporated in 1972.
Errington, British Columbia may be a small community, but it offers a wealth of natural beauty and outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy. From hiking and fishing to wildlife watching and festivals, there is something for everyone in Errington.
- North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre: http://www.niwra.org/
- Englishman River Falls Provincial Park: https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/englishman_rv_falls/
- Errington War Memorial Hall: https://www.erringtonhall.ca/
- Top Bridge Regional Park: https://www.rdn.bc.ca/top-bridge-regional-park)
- Spider Lake Provincial Park: https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/spider_lk/
- Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park: https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/little_qualicum_falls/