100 Mile House: A Hidden Gem in British Columbia
Located in the heart of the Cariboo region of British Columbia, 100 Mile House is a small community that offers a unique blend of outdoor adventure, history, and culture. With its stunning natural beauty, rich history, and friendly locals, 100 Mile House is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to experience the best of British Columbia.
There are plenty of attractions in 100 Mile House that are sure to keep visitors entertained. Here are some of the top attractions in the area:
- South Cariboo Visitor Centre: This is the perfect place to start your visit to 100 Mile House. The centre offers a wealth of information about the area, including maps, brochures, and advice from knowledgeable staff.
- Centennial Park: This beautiful park is located in the heart of 100 Mile House and features a playground, picnic area, and walking trails.
- 108 Heritage Site: This historic site features a museum, heritage buildings, and a beautiful garden. Visitors can learn about the history of the area and explore the buildings and exhibits.
- 100 Mile Marsh: This wetland area is home to a variety of wildlife, including birds, beavers, and muskrats. Visitors can explore the area on foot or by canoe.
- Mt. Timothy Ski Area: This ski area offers some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the Cariboo region. With over 1,400 vertical feet of skiing and snowboarding terrain, Mt. Timothy is a must-visit destination for winter sports enthusiasts.
100 Mile House is surrounded by stunning natural beauty, including lakes, forests, and mountains. Here are some of the top natural wonders in the area:
- Lac La Hache: This beautiful lake is a popular spot for swimming, boating, and fishing. Visitors can also enjoy hiking and biking trails around the lake.
- Bridge Creek Falls: This stunning waterfall is located just outside of 100 Mile House and is a popular spot for hiking and picnicking.
- Canim Lake: This large lake is a popular spot for fishing, boating, and swimming. Visitors can also enjoy hiking and biking trails around the lake.
- Green Lake Provincial Park: This beautiful park features a large lake, hiking trails, and camping facilities. Visitors can also enjoy swimming, boating, and fishing in the lake.
100 Mile House is home to a number of festivals and events throughout the year. Here are some of the top festivals in the area:
- South Cariboo Garlic Festival: This popular festival celebrates all things garlic and features live music, food vendors, and garlic-themed activities.
- Cariboo Rocks the North: This music festival features top Canadian and international acts and is a must-visit destination for music lovers.
- 100 Mile House Fall Fair: This traditional fall fair features agricultural exhibits, live music, and a variety of food vendors.
100 Mile House was established in the mid-1800s as a stopping point for gold rush miners travelling between the Cariboo gold fields and the coast. The community was named for its location 100 miles from Lillooet, which was the starting point of the Cariboo Wagon Road. The community was officially incorporated in 1965.
The person who started the community was Thomas Miller, who built a roadhouse at the site in 1862. The roadhouse served as a stopping point for travellers and provided food, lodging, and supplies. Over time, the community grew around the roadhouse and became an important centre for the region.
With its stunning natural beauty, rich history, and friendly locals, 100 Mile House is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to experience the best of British Columbia. Whether you're interested in outdoor adventure, history, or culture, there's something for everyone in this hidden gem of a community.
- South Cariboo Visitor Centre: http://www.southcariboochamber.org/
- 108 Heritage Site: https://www.108ranch.com/
- Mt. Timothy Ski Area: https://www.skitimothy.com/
- Lac La Hache: https://www.hellobc.com/places-to-go/cariboo-chilcotin-coast/lac-la-hache)
- Green Lake Provincial Park: https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/green_lk/
- South Cariboo Garlic Festival: https://www.garlicfestival.ca/
- Cariboo Rocks the North: https://www.cariboorocksthenorth.com/
- 100 Mile House Fall Fair: https://www.100milefallfair.com/