Stavely, Alberta: A Hidden Gem in the Canadian Prairies
Stavely, Alberta is a small town located in the southern part of the province, approximately 100 kilometers south of Calgary. Despite its small size, Stavely has a lot to offer visitors who are looking for a quiet and peaceful getaway in the Canadian prairies. From natural wonders to cultural attractions, there is something for everyone in Stavely.
- Stavely Arena: The Stavely Arena is a popular destination for ice skating and hockey enthusiasts. It is also home to the Stavely Figure Skating Club, which offers lessons and programs for skaters of all ages and skill levels.
- Stavely Golf Course: The Stavely Golf Course is a nine-hole course that offers a challenging and enjoyable golfing experience for players of all levels. The course is surrounded by beautiful scenery and is a great place to spend a day outdoors.
- Stavely Swimming Pool: The Stavely Swimming Pool is a great place to cool off on a hot summer day. The pool is open from June to August and offers swimming lessons and programs for all ages.
- Stavely Community Park: The Stavely Community Park is a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors. The park features a playground, picnic areas, and a walking trail that winds through the park and along the nearby creek.
- Stavely Heritage Walking Tour: The Stavely Heritage Walking Tour is a self-guided tour that takes visitors through the town's historic downtown area. The tour includes stops at several historic buildings and landmarks, including the Stavely Hotel and the Stavely Train Station.
- Willow Creek Provincial Park: Willow Creek Provincial Park is located just a few kilometers south of Stavely and offers visitors a chance to explore the natural beauty of the area. The park features hiking trails, picnic areas, and a campground.
- Stavely Natural Area: The Stavely Natural Area is a protected area that is home to a variety of wildlife, including deer, coyotes, and birds of prey. The area is a great place for hiking and birdwatching.
- Stavely Lake: Stavely Lake is a small lake located just outside of town. The lake is a popular spot for fishing and boating, and is surrounded by beautiful scenery.
- Stavely Indoor Rodeo: The Stavely Indoor Rodeo is held every year in March and is a popular event for locals and visitors alike. The rodeo features bull riding, barrel racing, and other rodeo events.
- Stavely Bluegrass Festival: The Stavely Bluegrass Festival is held every year in August and features live bluegrass music from local and regional bands. The festival also includes food vendors and craft booths.
Stavely was established in 1902 as a stop on the Canadian Pacific Railway. The town was named after Thomas Staveley, who was a prominent businessman and politician in the area. Stavely was officially incorporated as a village in 1907 and became a town in 1911.
Today, Stavely is a thriving community that is proud of its history and heritage. The town has a strong agricultural tradition and is home to many farms and ranches.
Stavely, Alberta may be a small town, but it has a lot to offer visitors who are looking for a peaceful and relaxing getaway in the Canadian prairies. From natural wonders to cultural attractions, there is something for everyone in Stavely. Whether you're interested in hiking, fishing, or just enjoying the outdoors, Stavely is the perfect destination for your next vacation.
- Alberta Parks. (n.d.). Willow Creek Provincial Park. https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/south/willow-creek-pp/
- Stavely & District Agricultural Society. (n.d.). Stavely Indoor Rodeo. https://www.stavelyagsociety.com/indoor-rodeo
- Stavely & District Agricultural Society. (n.d.). Stavely Bluegrass Festival. https://www.stavelyagsociety.com/bluegrass-festival
- Stavely Golf Course. (n.d.). Home. https://www.stavelygolfcourse.com/
- Town of Stavely. (n.d.). Stavely Heritage Walking Tour. https://www.stavely.ca/visitors/stavely-heritage-walking-tour/
- Town of Stavely. (n.d.). Stavely Swimming Pool. https://www.stavely.ca/visitors/stavely-swimming-pool/