Redwood Meadows: A Hidden Gem in Alberta
Nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Redwood Meadows is a small community located just 20 minutes west of Calgary. Despite its proximity to the city, Redwood Meadows offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of urban life. With its stunning natural beauty, outdoor recreational opportunities, and friendly community, Redwood Meadows is a hidden gem in Alberta.
Redwood Meadows is home to a number of attractions that are sure to delight visitors of all ages. Here are just a few of the must-see sights in the community:
- Redwood Meadows Golf and Country Club: This 18-hole golf course offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and is a favorite among locals and visitors alike.
- Redwood Meadows Provincial Park: This park is a popular spot for hiking, picnicking, and wildlife viewing. Visitors can also fish in the nearby Elbow River.
- Redwood Meadows Community Centre: This facility hosts a variety of events and activities throughout the year, including concerts, art shows, and fitness classes.
- Redwood Meadows Fire Department Museum: This museum showcases the history of the local fire department and features antique firefighting equipment.
Redwood Meadows is surrounded by natural beauty, from the rolling foothills to the pristine rivers and lakes. Here are some of the top natural wonders to explore in the community:
- Elbow River: This river is a popular spot for fishing, kayaking, and rafting. Visitors can also hike along the riverbank and enjoy the scenic views.
- Bragg Creek Provincial Park: This park is located just a short drive from Redwood Meadows and offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and stunning views of the mountains.
- Kananaskis Country: This vast wilderness area is located just west of Redwood Meadows and offers endless opportunities for outdoor recreation, including hiking, camping, and skiing.
Festivals and Events
Redwood Meadows is a vibrant community that loves to celebrate. Here are some of the top festivals and events to check out in the community:
- Redwood Meadows Canada Day Celebration: This annual event features live music, food vendors, and a fireworks display.
- Redwood Meadows Fall Fair: This event showcases the best of local agriculture and crafts, with live music and family-friendly activities.
- Redwood Meadows Christmas Market: This market is a great place to find unique gifts and handmade crafts, with live music and festive decorations.
Redwood Meadows was established in 1975 as a residential community for employees of the nearby TransAlta power plant. The community was incorporated as a municipality in 1980 and has since grown into a thriving community of over 1,600 residents. The community was named after the redwood trees that were planted in the area as part of a reforestation project in the 1930s.
Redwood Meadows may be a small community, but it offers big opportunities for outdoor recreation, cultural events, and natural beauty. Whether you're a local or a visitor, there's always something new to discover in this hidden gem of Alberta.
- "Redwood Meadows Golf and Country Club." Redwood Meadows Golf and Country Club.
- "Redwood Meadows Provincial Park." Alberta Parks.
- "Redwood Meadows Community Centre." Redwood Meadows Community Association.
- "Redwood Meadows Fire Department Museum." Redwood Meadows Fire Department.
- "Elbow River." Alberta Fishing Guide.
- "Bragg Creek Provincial Park." Alberta Parks.
- "Kananaskis Country." Alberta Parks.