Penhold, Alberta: A Hidden Gem in Central Alberta
Nestled in the heart of central Alberta, Penhold is a small town with a big heart. With a population of just over 3,000 people, Penhold is a tight-knit community that offers visitors a unique blend of natural beauty, history, and modern amenities. Whether you're looking for outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or just a relaxing getaway, Penhold has something for everyone.
Penhold is home to a number of attractions that are sure to delight visitors of all ages. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Penhold & District Museum: This museum showcases the history of Penhold and the surrounding area, with exhibits on everything from early settlers to the town's role in World War II.
- Penhold Multiplex: This state-of-the-art facility offers a variety of recreational activities, including a fitness centre, indoor track, and ice rinks.
- Penhold Regional Multiplex Park: This park features a playground, picnic areas, and a spray park, making it the perfect spot for families to spend a sunny afternoon.
- Penhold Memorial Park: This park is home to a cenotaph that honours the sacrifices of Canadian soldiers, as well as a playground and walking trails.
- Penhold Lions Community Campground: This campground offers a peaceful retreat for visitors, with RV and tent sites, fire pits, and access to nearby hiking trails.
Penhold is surrounded by natural beauty, with plenty of opportunities for outdoor adventures. Here are a few of the top natural wonders to explore:
- Red Deer River: This scenic river runs through Penhold, offering opportunities for fishing, kayaking, and canoeing.
- Heritage Ranch: This working ranch offers horseback riding, wagon rides, and other outdoor activities, as well as a petting zoo and restaurant.
- Bower Ponds: Located in nearby Red Deer, these man-made ponds offer a peaceful oasis in the heart of the city, with walking trails, picnic areas, and paddle boats.
- Waskasoo Park: This park is home to over 80 km of trails, as well as picnic areas, playgrounds, and a nature centre.
Penhold is a community that loves to celebrate, with a number of festivals and events throughout the year. Here are a few of the top festivals to check out:
- Penhold Days: This annual festival takes place in June and features a parade, live music, and a variety of family-friendly activities.
- Penhold Christmas Market: Held in November, this market offers a chance to shop for unique gifts and crafts, as well as enjoy festive treats and entertainment.
Penhold was established in 1892, when the Canadian Pacific Railway built a station in the area. The town was named after a local farmer, Richard Penhold, who donated the land for the station. Penhold was officially incorporated as a village in 1904, and became a town in 1980.
Whether you're looking for outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or just a relaxing getaway, Penhold is a hidden gem that is well worth a visit. With its natural beauty, rich history, and welcoming community, Penhold offers something for everyone.
- Town of Penhold: https://www.townofpenhold.ca/
- Penhold & District Museum: https://www.penholdmuseum.com/
- Penhold Regional Multiplex: https://www.penhold.ca/p/penhold-regional-multiplex
- Heritage Ranch: https://www.heritageranch.ca/
- Bower Ponds: https://www.reddeer.ca/recreation-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/bower-ponds/
- Waskasoo Park: https://www.reddeer.ca/recreation-and-culture/parks-and-green-spaces/waskasoo-park/