Olds, Alberta: A Hidden Gem in the Heart of Canada
Nestled in the heart of Alberta, Canada, lies the charming town of Olds. With a population of just over 9,000, Olds is a small but vibrant community that offers visitors a unique blend of natural beauty, cultural attractions, and outdoor activities. Whether you're looking for a relaxing getaway or an action-packed adventure, Olds has something for everyone.
Olds is home to a number of unique attractions that are sure to delight visitors of all ages. Some of the must-see attractions in the area include:
- Olds College Botanic Gardens: This stunning garden features over 20 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, including a butterfly garden, a rose garden, and a Japanese garden.
- Olds College Fashion Museum: This museum showcases a collection of over 10,000 garments and accessories dating back to the 18th century.
- Olds College National Meat Training Centre: This state-of-the-art facility offers training and certification programs for the meat industry, as well as public tours and workshops.
- Olds College Brewery: This award-winning brewery offers a variety of craft beers, as well as tours and tastings.
- Olds Agricultural Society: This society hosts a number of events throughout the year, including the Olds Agricultural Society Fair and Rodeo.
Olds is surrounded by some of the most beautiful natural scenery in Canada. Visitors can explore the area's many parks, lakes, and trails, including:
- Olds Rotary Park: This park features a playground, picnic areas, and a beautiful walking trail along the banks of the Little Red Deer River.
- Olds Centennial Park: This park offers a variety of recreational activities, including a skate park, a splash park, and a disc golf course.
- Olds Aquatic Centre: This state-of-the-art facility features a wave pool, a waterslide, and a hot tub.
- Olds Mountain View Trail: This scenic trail offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Olds College Wetlands: This wetland area is home to a variety of wildlife, including beavers, muskrats, and waterfowl.
Olds is known for its lively festivals and events, which celebrate the town's rich cultural heritage and natural beauty. Some of the most popular festivals in the area include:
- Olds Agricultural Society Fair and Rodeo: This annual event features a rodeo, a midway, and a variety of agricultural exhibits and competitions.
- Olds Fashioned Christmas: This festive event features a parade, carol singing, and a visit from Santa Claus.
- Olds College Community Learning Campus Farmers' Market: This weekly market offers fresh produce, baked goods, and handmade crafts from local vendors.
Olds was founded in 1901 by George Olds, a businessman from Ontario who saw the potential for a thriving agricultural community in the area. The town was officially incorporated in 1905, and quickly became a hub for farming and ranching in the region. Today, Olds is a thriving community that continues to celebrate its rich history and cultural heritage.
Whether you're interested in exploring the area's natural beauty, learning about its rich history, or simply enjoying the local festivals and events, Olds, Alberta is a hidden gem that is well worth a visit. With its unique blend of attractions, natural wonders, and cultural experiences, Olds offers something for everyone.
- Travel Alberta: https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/places-to-go/central-alberta/olds/
- Town of Olds: https://www.olds.ca/
- Olds College: https://www.oldscollege.ca/
- Alberta Parks: https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/central/olds-rotary-park/
- Olds Agricultural Society: https://www.oldsagsociety.com/
- Olds Fashioned Christmas: https://www.everythingolds.ca/events/olds-fashioned-christmas/