Hythe, Alberta: A Hidden Gem in the Peace Country
Nestled in the heart of the Peace Country, Hythe, Alberta is a small community with a big heart. With a population of just over 800 people, this charming town offers visitors a chance to experience the beauty of rural Alberta. From its stunning natural wonders to its rich history, Hythe has something for everyone.
Hythe Pioneer Home Museum
The Hythe Pioneer Home Museum is a must-visit for history buffs. This museum showcases the town's rich history through exhibits and artifacts. Visitors can explore the museum's collection of antique farm equipment, vintage clothing, and photographs. The museum is open from May to September.
Hythe Motor Speedway
For those who love the thrill of speed, the Hythe Motor Speedway is the place to be. This quarter-mile dirt track hosts races throughout the summer months. Visitors can watch local drivers compete in a variety of classes, from stock cars to modifieds.
Hythe Golf Club
The Hythe Golf Club is a nine-hole course that offers a challenging round of golf in a beautiful setting. The course is open to the public and features rolling fairways, well-manicured greens, and stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
Hythe Community Park
The Hythe Community Park is a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors. The park features a playground, picnic areas, and a walking trail. Visitors can also take a dip in the park's outdoor swimming pool during the summer months.
Saskatoon Island Provincial Park
Located just a short drive from Hythe, Saskatoon Island Provincial Park is a beautiful natural area that offers visitors a chance to explore the great outdoors. The park features hiking trails, a sandy beach, and a lake that is perfect for swimming, fishing, and boating.
Bear Lake is a popular spot for fishing and boating. The lake is stocked with rainbow trout and offers a peaceful setting for a day on the water.
Kleskun Hill Natural Area
Kleskun Hill Natural Area is a unique geological formation that offers visitors a chance to explore the area's natural history. The area features hoodoos, badlands, and a variety of wildlife.
Hythe and District Agricultural Fair
The Hythe and District Agricultural Fair is a celebration of the town's agricultural heritage. The fair features livestock shows, a parade, and a variety of exhibits and demonstrations.
Hythe Honey Festival
The Hythe Honey Festival is a celebration of the town's beekeeping industry. The festival features honey tastings, beekeeping demonstrations, and a variety of honey-themed products for sale.
Hythe was established in 1910 by the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. The town was named after Hythe, Kent, England. The community was incorporated as a village in 1914 and became a town in 1951. The town's founder was Charles S. Noble, who was a prominent businessman and politician in the area.
Hythe, Alberta may be a small town, but it has a lot to offer visitors. From its rich history to its stunning natural wonders, there is something for everyone in this charming community. Whether you're looking for a relaxing day in the park or an adrenaline-filled race at the speedway, Hythe has it all.
- "Hythe Pioneer Home Museum." Explore County of Grande Prairie. https://www.countygp.ab.ca/EN/main/community/recreation-culture/hythe-pioneer-home-museum.html
- "Hythe Motor Speedway." Hythe Motor Speedway. http://www.hythemotorspeedway.com/
- "Hythe Golf Club." Golf Canada. https://www.golfcanada.ca/courses/hythe-golf-club/
- "Saskatoon Island Provincial Park." Alberta Parks. https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/northwest/saskatoon-island-pp/
- "Bear Lake." Alberta Fishing Guide. https://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/bear-lake/
- "Kleskun Hill Natural Area." Explore County of Grande Prairie. https://www.countygp.ab.ca/EN/main/community/recreation-culture/kleskun-hill-natural-area.html
- "Hythe and District Agricultural Fair." Explore County of Grande Prairie. https://www.countygp.ab.ca/EN/main/community/recreation-culture/hythe-and-district-agricultural-fair.html
- "Hythe Honey Festival." Explore County of Grande Prairie. https://www.countygp.ab.ca/EN/main/community/recreation-culture/hythe-honey-festival.html