Elizabethtown, Ontario: A Hidden Gem for Travel and Tourism
Elizabethtown, located in southeastern Ontario, is a charming community that offers a variety of attractions for tourists. From natural wonders to cultural events, Elizabethtown has something for everyone. This article will explore the history of Elizabethtown and highlight some of the must-see attractions in the area.
History of Elizabethtown
Elizabethtown was established in 1792 by United Empire Loyalists who were granted land by the British government for their loyalty during the American Revolution. The community was named after Elizabeth Simcoe, the wife of John Graves Simcoe, the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada. Elizabethtown was incorporated as a township in 1798 and became a municipality in 1850.
Attractions in Elizabethtown
Parks and Natural Wonders
- Mac Johnson Wildlife Area: This 532-hectare park offers hiking trails, fishing, and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Lyn Valley Conservation Area: This park features a waterfall, hiking trails, and picnic areas.
- Charleston Lake Provincial Park: This park offers camping, hiking, swimming, and boating opportunities on Charleston Lake.
Cultural Events and Festivals
- Delta Fair: This annual fair features agricultural exhibits, live music, and a midway.
- Delta Maple Syrup Festival: This festival celebrates the local maple syrup industry with pancake breakfasts, maple syrup tastings, and a craft fair.
- Lyndhurst Turkey Fair: This fair features a turkey dinner, live music, and a parade.
- The Big Apple: This roadside attraction features a giant apple-shaped building that houses a bakery, restaurant, and gift shop.
- The Thousand Islands Tower: This tower offers panoramic views of the Thousand Islands region and the St. Lawrence River.
Elizabethtown, Ontario may be a small community, but it offers a wealth of attractions for tourists. From natural wonders to cultural events, there is something for everyone in Elizabethtown. Whether you're looking for a relaxing getaway or an adventure-filled vacation, Elizabethtown is definitely worth a visit.
- "Elizabethtown-Kitley Township." Ontario Heritage Trust. https://www.heritagetrust.on.ca/en/plaques/elizabethtown-kitley-township.
- "Elizabethtown-Kitley." Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley. https://www.elizabethtown-kitley.on.ca/en/index.aspx.
- "Mac Johnson Wildlife Area." Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority. https://crca.ca/conservation-lands/conservation-areas/mac-johnson-wildlife-area/.
- "Lyn Valley Conservation Area." Rideau Valley Conservation Authority. https://www.rvca.ca/conservation-areas/lyn-valley-conservation-area.
- "Charleston Lake Provincial Park." Ontario Parks. https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/charlestonlake.
- "Delta Fair." Delta Agricultural Society. https://deltafair.com/.
- "Delta Maple Syrup Festival." Delta Maple Syrup Festival. https://deltamaplesyrupfestival.ca/.
- "Lyndhurst Turkey Fair." Lyndhurst Turkey Fair. https://lyndhurstturkeyfair.com/.
- "The Big Apple." The Big Apple. https://thebigapple.ca/.
- "Thousand Islands Tower." Thousand Islands Tower. https://www.1000islandstower.com/.